Christmas is a time of fun and festivities, but if you’ve got last minute shopping to do, it can also be pretty stressful.
Your mind is focussed on ensuring you don’t forget anyone’s gifts. The last thing you need to add to your woes is to become a victim of crime.
Thankfully, the Suzy Lamplugh Trust has come up with some advice on how to stay safe whilst Christmas shopping.
Top Safety Tips for Christmas Shoppers
- Don’t get loaded down with too many bags. Try to keep one hand free.
- Try and avoid taking young children into busy shopping areas. If it is unavoidable make sure they know what to do if they lose you, e.g. tell the nearest counter assistant that they are lost and NEVER leave a shop without you.
- Agree a meeting point with older children in case you get separated.
- Be careful where you park your car, especially if you will be returning to it after dark.
- If parking in a multi-storey car park, choose a well-lit space as close to the exit as possible and away from pillars. Reverse into position.
- Keep car doors locked whilst driving in built-up areas, especially if you’ve got bags of presents in the car.
- Don’t leave presents on show in a parked car, as they could tempt thieves.
- Keep alert and aware of your surroundings, especially in busy shops and crowded streets where thieves and pickpockets may well be operating.
- Keep a close watch on your valuables and try not to keep them all in one place.
- If you’re travelling home by a minicab, make sure you read our taxi safety tips.
Happy shopping and stay safe this Christmas.